Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Macarons (an amateur's attempt)~

i used to wonder what's with the macaron fascination? What's so special 'bout 'em? It was not until sometime last week when i tasted my first ever macaron from bakerzin (@$1.50+ per piece!) that i realised the divine macaron attraction~
It's was an extreme challenge to make macarons. After surfing online and browsing through several macaron recipes and success stories, i decided to make the attempt. After several unsuccessful tries i finally managed to at least achieve the right macaron shell texture.
~*Macarons with chocolate liqueur ganache*~
i'm yet to perfect the macaron batter consistency and the piping technique to achieve the perfect macaron shell shape. But nevertheless, these chocholate liqueur ganache macaron sandwiches tasted similar to my first macaron experience :p~...

This was my fifth attempt... in my previous attempts, i always ended up with flat and chewy shells. And the main reason for that was because i did not beat the egg white till they were glossy, shiny and stiff enough...

Here are some useful macaron reference blogs/websites that will definitely be of help;

2 comments:

EBJ said...

Congrats! They look great! I too have just started making macarons, and had my first success last night. I did a dance around the kitchen, I was that excited about them. My next challenge is figuring out the right mixture for the centers -- the ganache I used is too heavy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, ebj,

Cheers to you! i can totally understand your joy with your successful attempt! Hope you've managed to come up with the perfect ganache. :)